There’s nothing like the thrill of seeing a child master riding a trike or bike for the first time. To help keep the fun in bike riding, be sure that the bike is in good working order and fits your child. Remember to use the following safety equipment (it’s also required by law):
- Helmet: Cyclists under the age of 18 are required to wear one
- Lights & Reflectors: A white light should be mounted at front of bike, and a red reflector light should be mounted at back
- Bell or horn
- Reflective Tape: Use white reflective tape on front forks, red reflective tape on rear stays
To maximize your fun:
- Plan your route
- Have your child practice cycling where there are few cars
- Follow the rules of the road:
- Remind your child to watch for cars at intersections and pulling out of driveways. Make eye contact with drivers to ensure that they see you.
- Remember, different communities have different rules for learning to ride on sidewalks. Contact your municipality for the bylaws in your community.