Service Line Coverage protects you from losses due to damage or failure of these lines by extending your home insurance coverage to underground piping, wiring, valves and more.
Let CAA Insurance help shield you from unexpected and costly repairs. If you have CAA Home Insurance, you're eligible to receive Service Line Coverage for as little as $15/year! For more details, call 1-877-665-1222 to speak with a CAA Insurance Agent.
Get a quote
Don't have CAA Home Insurance? Get a quote online.
What's included in Service Line Coverage?
This product provides coverage for:
- Damage to your underground service line that is the result of a failure of this line. Problems that can occur include: wear and tear, rust, corrosion, decay, deterioration, defects in the line, freezing, collapse of the line (not including sinkhole collapse) and electrical, mechanical or pressure systems breakdown.
- Costs required to repair/replace the damaged covered service line that is the result of a service line failure.
- Your outdoor property that is damaged as a result of a service line failure or that is damaged during the excavation of this line following its failure.
- Extra costs to make temporary repairs or to expedite permanent repairs/replacements to your service line that is damaged as the result of a service line failure.
- Damage to wiring used for communication or data transmission.
- Additional living expenses and rental values.
How does the coverage work?
By adding this coverage to your homeowner policy, you can get protection against such instances as stated above, which average $6,000 per occurrence. There is a deductible of $500 and a coverage limit up to $10,000 per occurrence.
Examples of Service Line Failures.
A tree root grew through a sewer pipe located on a homeowner’s premises, causing the pipe to leak. The sewer line was 200 feet long and required a backhoe to dig up and replace the damaged piping. The cost to replace the sewer line was $1,750 and the excavation cost totaled $4,050.
Loss: $5,800 | Deductible: $500 | Insurance Recoverable: $5,300
During a cold spell, the pipe connecting the public water line from the street to a home sustained freeze damage and ruptured. The homeowner had to have the water line excavated ($3,900) and replaced ($1,000). The contractor involved had to remove a number of trees and shrubs before excavating; the replacement cost for the trees and shrubs was $950. Because of the extensive repair work needed, the homeowner also had to stay in a hotel for two nights at a total cost of $750.
Insurance Recoverable: $6,100
An underground power line providing electrical service to a home deteriorated over time, causing an interruption in the service. Due to the extensive damage discovered during the repair work, the power line had to be excavated ($5,300) and replaced ($2,500).
Insurance Recoverable: $7,300