By now, you’ve probably done a bit of spring cleaning around the house, tidied up the living room and thrown away some junk that’s been sitting in the basement. Many often forget that, like your home, your vehicle’s battery could do with a spring cleaning too.
Having your battery checked for winter wear and tear by a battery representative could mean the difference between that fantastic summer road trip that goes down in history, and a frustrating series of problems.
Here are 5 battery signs you should have a representative check for to ensure you get the most out of your vehicle’s battery.
- Inspect the battery case, brackets, and tray for corrosion and remove these deposits, which interfere with the flow of electric current. If the brackets or tray are heavily corroded, they should be replaced.
- Inspect brackets to make sure they secure the battery adequately. Loose brackets will allow the battery to vibrate, shortening its life and possibly damaging other components.
- Tighten loose battery cables.
- Check the tension and condition of the fan belt. A loose fan belt can diminish the battery’s ability to charge. If a fan belt is frayed or cracked, have it replaced.
- Most batteries today are sealed and do not require you to monitor water levels. However, if your battery is not “maintenance-free,” ask the representative to add water, if necessary. Even with good care and maintenance, the life of a car battery is only 3-5 years. If you live in a part of the country that experiences temperature extremes, your battery life may be even shorter. So if your battery is four years old or older, you may end up enjoying a spring shower in your driveway or parking lot, waiting for a tow truck.
Following these steps will help keep your vehicle’s battery healthy. However, if battery problems do get the best of you, we can help. Providing on-site support, CAA Battery Service offers complimentary delivery and recycling upon purchase of a new battery. They will also test your charging system, and at your request, even install a quality CAA Battery on the spot to get you back on the road.