Filing a damage claim

Tire skidding

If your vehicle has been damaged because of a poorly maintained road, you can attempt to file a claim with the level of government - provincial or municipal - responsible for maintaining the road or highway where the damage occurred.

Municipal Claims: What you need to know

Municipalities have responsibility for maintaining the majority of the roads in Ontario and have set standards for:

  • Routine road inspections
  • Snow removal
  • Sanding and salting
  • Road sign and signal maintenance
  • Repair of potholes
Points to consider:
  • Municipalities usually require you to contact the city clerk's office and submit your claim in writing
  • Submit your claim ASAP as municipalities are protected by very strict time limits for making claims
  • Your claim should include:
    • Date and location of the incident
    • Details of what happened
    • An outline of the damages
    • Include any additional information requested by the clerk' office

Province of Ontario claims: What you need to know

The Municipal and Highway Services section of the Ministry of Transportation's Provincial Highways Management Division manages and administers property damage claims against the Ministry. This section is responsible for:

  • Damage to your vehicle sustained while driving on a provincial highway
  • Claims relating to highway maintenance and construction activities on provincial highways
Points to consider:
  • You must submit detailed information in writing for consideration by the province
  • Your written claim should include:
    • Date and location of the incident
    • Details of what happened
    • Loss and nature of the property damage
    • Include any additional information requested by the Ministry
  • Send your claim by mail or by fax to:

    Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
    Ontario Shared Services
    Risk Management and Insurance Services Branch
    222 Jarvis Street, 6th Floor Toronto, ON M7A 0B6
    Phone (416) 314-3445; Fax (416) 314-3444

Want to share your comments or concerns about Ontario's roads? We want to hear from you. Email CAA at

Save on auto insurance

CAA Members save on CAA auto insurance. It's like getting your CAA membership for free.

Get Quote »

Support tow truck drivers

Slow Down, Move Over

Tell your MPP tow trucks should be included in laws for safely passing emergency vehicles.

Get details »

Be prepared.
Be cautious. Be safe.

Stranded Driver

Get tips that can help keep you safe if you've been involved in a collision or if your vehicle breaks down.

Find out more »