Store Locator
Homeowner's insurance

What is CAA Water Coverage?

Welcome to CAA Water Coverage – an insurance product that combines multiple aspects of water damage, such as flooding rivers, heavy rainfall or sewer backup. This new coverage ensures you are always protected.
Front view of a house on a lake

It's just water under the bridge.

Currently, water damage accounts for half of all home insurance claims in Canada, due in part to incidents of severe weather.



Sewer backup


Surface water from sudden heavy rainfall

Rain boots

Overflow of water from a lake or river


Ground water or rising of water table

Man on the phone

Changes to your policy.

CAA Insurance policyholders with sewer backup coverage will automatically enjoy the following enhanced protection:

  • Overflow from a nearby lake or river.
  • Surface water caused by a sudden weather-related event.
  • Rising of the water table or ground water entering your home from a point which is below grade.
Rain on the roof of a house

How to prevent water damage.

  • Extend your downspouts so that rainwater flows away from your home. Maintain your eavestroughs and downspouts and have them inspected yearly.
  • Install flood shields on all basement windows below ground level.
  • Ensure the grading around your yard slopes away from your home.
  • Professionally installed backwater valves help to prevent sewage backup in your home. These are designed to automatically close when they detect water trying to enter your home from the sewer, stopping water damage.
Only some forms of water damage may be covered by home insurance policies. Usually, sudden and accidental discharge of water, such as damage caused by a burst pipe, is covered. You may also be covered for a sewer backup if you have this endorsement on your policy (it’s an optional coverage). 

1. You are insured against sudden direct physical loss or damage to insured property, as defined in your policy, caused by:

  1. Flood;
  2. Ground water or rising of the water table;
  3. Mudflow;
  4. Surface water; or
  5. The backing up or escape of water or sewage within your dwelling or detached private structure through a:
    1. sewer on your premises;
    2. septic system on your premises; or
    3. sump located within your dwelling or detached private structures; or
    4. drain located within or on your dwelling or detached private structures

2. Mass Evacuation and Living expenses, as defined in your policy, if resulting from an Insured Peril covered under this endorsement.

This endorsement does not cover loss or damage caused directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, by:

  • Spray, waves, tides, tidal waves, storm surge, tsunamis, seiche, escape of salt water from any natural or man-made watercourse or water body, ice or waterborne objects, regardless of any other cause or event that contributes concurrently or in any sequence to the loss or damage;
  • Continuous or repeated seepage or leakage of water whether from natural or man-made sources;
  • Landslide or any other earth movement; and
  • Occurring while the dwelling is under construction or vacant, even if we have given permission for vacancy.
Where the risk qualifies, this coverage may be added through an endorsement to your property policy.